This is special restoration project for a friend of mine to reunite this guitar with it’s original owner (you can see his posting below with the whole story of the guitar, Thanks Dave!). It’s going to have a fair amount of mods to make it more playable and an original themed avocado burst paint job to bring some of the original flavor back.
I started by removing all the original hardware and packing it up just in case Dave ever decides to return it to stock. Then I stripped off the layers of varnish and sanded everything smooth.
The list of mods include:
– Seymour Duncan Antiquity P-90 pick ups
– Bigsby B-11 Trem
– Bigsby Sorkin Bowtie / Gretsch Space Control hybrid bridge
– Gotoh Locking Vintage Oval Knob 6-In-Line Tuners
– A new stainless steel truss rod
– parchment pearloid 3 ply pick guard and truss cover
– CTS rotary pots w/ NOS .033mf tone caps and a 3 position rotary switch
– Vintage black Dakaware bakelight knobs
– Nitrocellulose avocado burst paint
The top was in pretty rough shape and the original trem had torn all the screws out. I am installing a Bigsby B-11 and the original hole for the trem spring was right in the “window” of the Bigsby
I reinforced the underside with a piece of 1/8″ thick maple to give myself some backing and a 1″ dia x 1/8″ thick round plug was cut to fill the hole for the original trem.
After the holes were filled I enlarged the pick up hole larger to accommodate the Seymour Duncan Antiquity P-90’s we selected for this guitar.
I filled in all the holes and covered the entire top with a thin layer of fiberglass resin. This will make the top stronger and perfectly smooth for paint.
The original “stick shifter” sliding pots were is kind of rough shape and the bridge volume pot is DOA so I made a new pick guard out of parchment pearloid 3 ply material in a shape that better followed the contours of the body and I’ll install a 3 way rotary switch and 250K CTS rotary pots
I Finished the pickguard, beveled the edges, created the wiring harness and mounted everything in the pickguard. It’s ready to drop in.
The body and neck are completely smoothed, I am in the process of sourcing the paint. Once I figure out the direction i’ll go it’s ready for primer and paint.
I shot it with a few coats of a green tinted primer today. The bodywork looks pretty good and you cant even tell where the holes have been filled in. This is just a primer/base coat to help with the final color. I should start with the top coats in the next day or so.
Check back for more…